[Vision2020] Death to Vermin!

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Sun Oct 15 16:35:58 PDT 2006

>> Andreas, you ask that I support my contention that executing a man
>> prevents
>> him from killing others in the future.  If I may:  When a man is
>> executed,
>> his heart stops beating, making predatory behavior difficult to
>> engage in.
>> Further, his other organ systems stop functioning as well at the
>> point of
>> execution, thus causing decomposition.  A moldering corpse,
>> Andreas,  is a
>> threat to no one.
>>
>> Hope this helps with your confusion,    -Tony

>> I presume Tony knows that hundreds of innocent people have been
>> put to death by government killing. I suppose we can assume that
>> if Tony were wrongly convicted of murder that he would gladly lay
>> down his life for the satisfaction of other lovers of capital
>> punishment.
>>
>> Ralph

>> Ralph, nice try but your requirement would eliminate the option of
>> civilization entirely.  Any system of justice is going to include
>> mistakes as it is administered by fallible human beings.  There is
>> unfortunately no getting around that reality. That a system is
>> imperfect in no way argues for its elimination.  Perhaps you would
>> prefer anarchy to civilization?
>>
>> -T

Nice dodging, Tony, but no cigar. Civilized states and countries do
not have capital punishment. And they usually have much lower murder
rates than those that do. The "option of civilization" is to abolish
capital punishment, not to inflict it on the innocent.

When later evidence sometimes proves a convicted "murderer" to be
innocent, we can set the poor man free and compensate him for his
undeserved suffering only if we do not kill him first. Your attitude
makes me wonder whether people like you are really "civilized".

And, Tony, you didn't answer my question. Would you gladly lay down
your life in the name of "deterrence" for the satisfaction of other
lovers of capital punishment? If you were wrongly found guilty of a
despicable murder and labeled "vermin."

Ralph