[Vision2020] polarizing and the two-party system

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 22:41:50 PDT 2006

Paul --

I think the money issue is a red herring. I think that the main issue
is the "winner-take-all" structure of our system. If our system
apportioned seats in Congress according to the number of actual votes
for a party, rather than allowing voters (essentially) an up-or-down
vote on a regional incumbent. For instance, taking votes in the 2000
election as a barometer of the way people might actually vote if this
were a case, our Congress would have 18 members from the Green party,
3 Libertarians, and 3 Constitution party members. Now, while the
Libertarians and Constitution Party members would probably caucus with
the Republicans and the Greens with the Democrats, we would certainly
have a more diverse legislature.

-- ACS