[Vision2020] polarizing and the two-party system

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 15:14:32 PDT 2006

Ah, yes.  Money.

What does that money buy you?  I'm guessing it's mainly for exposure.
It gets your name out there where Joe Sixpack can see it.  It also buys
legitimacy, but not as much as it buys exposure.

The nice thing is that the world is constantly changing.  With the
Internet tearing down what would have seemed to be rock-solid
institutions, the landscape will probably be a whole lot different in a
few elections from now.  I'm waiting for the first real "internet
phenomenon" political candidate to be born.  Someone who will become a
household name just based on their internet identity.  Someone who will
become as ubiquitous as YouTube or MySpace or those chain letters that
make the rounds every once in a while.  And with the lousy voter
turnouts in this country, one wildfire maverick candidate can turn this
thing on it's ear.

There will have to be some changes before that happens, though.  The
established media institutions will have to become aware of other party
candidates so that legitimate contenders don't get locked out of
debates.  States will have to open up a bit to get other parties on the
ballots.  But I imagine that will change, with time.

It's my guess, and my hope, that the money will matter less and less in
this process as time goes on.  It doesn't cost anything to vote,
regardless of how much money your candidate has spent.

Paul