[Vision2020] polarizing and the two-party system

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Oct 14 13:05:07 PDT 2006

The bottom line in introducing a third political party is $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Our political history reflects many, many attempts at creating a viable
third political party.

>From the Know Nothing Party of 1849:
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/entry.php?rec=911

To Ross Perot's Patriot Party of 1982:
http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/case/3pt/perot_vote.html

These parties faded into history, not because they lacked a base.  They
lacked sufficient financial backing.

During election years hundreds of millions of dollars are spent in support
of our two primary political parties.  In many cases a company will
contribute heavily to both candidates/parties to develop a sense of
financial obligation (in some cases "dependence") within the elected
candidate/party.

As a result it will always require considerably more than a righteous
ambition to overcome/overtake either/both political party(ies).

That is why the US House of Representatives currently consists of 234
Republicans, 202 Democrats, and 1 independent, the sole independent being
Bernard Sanders from Vermont.  But, get real.  Vermont's population is under
700,000.  Its largest city is Burlington (population: 40,000).  Vermont not
only listens to a different drummer, it has its own unique orchestra.  God
bless 'em.

So, unless you know a whole bunch of people with a whole bunch of money, you
will not be able to develop a viable third political party.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
Vandalville, Idaho

"Politicians are like diapers.  They should be changed frequently and for
the same reason."

- Robin Williams