[Vision2020] Duncan plea deal

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Oct 12 10:53:00 PDT 2006

Anyone have any comment on Joseph Duncan's offer to plead guilty on three
murder counts in the Groene case, accepting life in prison without the
possibility of parole, if Kootenai County drops the death penalty?

I'm a little biased here, since I'm opposed to the death penalty in
principle, but I find it amazing that prosecutors wouldn't accept what by
any measure would be a positive outcome in this case -- one that keeps this
monster off the streets and, not incidentally, would save hundreds of
thousands of dollars in court costs and keep Shasta Groene off the witness
stand.  It seems that a pursuit of ultimate vengeance here might well harm a
little girl and destroy an entire county's budget.

I would think even death penalty advocates would see the wisdom in this.  So
what am I missing?

keely