[Vision2020] Is Moscow Ready for Reservoir?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 11:49:36 PDT 2006

Saundra,

 Do you mind telling me where exactly I can find a  new or modern three bedroom apartment (1200sf+) for "substantially"  less than $1000 from June to June that is not low income housing?

  Most the ones I see in the paper for less than that are, old, something  you would use as a dog house, low income housing, or discounted because  the current occupant is leaving in Jan/Feb and the lease doesn't end  until June. After June, that rate goes back up.

 Please let  me know, because I have been to no less 15 apartment complexes with  nothing less than $750 a month (which are not up to date, or something  decent). And you can get a mortgage on a 2000 sf house for less than  $850 a month.

 As to finding a modern house that is livable,  bigger than a shoe box, and not a utility or money pit, for less than a  $850, actually IN Moscow (not Troy, Deary, or Lewiston/Clarkston), I  would like to see that, I really would.

 The average income  in Latah is actually lower than the average income for Moscow, and most  students live in Moscow. The average household income for Latah is  $30,000, the average individual salary is $24,000 in Latah. The vacancy  rate for housing is 5%. Which means a low supply of housing.

  The average household income in Boise is $40,000 a year. The average salary is
over $30,000 ($26,000 for Women $36,000 for men). The housing vacancy rate is 10%. Which means a high supply for housing.

  A mortgage on a home costs the same for a $200,000 house in Moscow as  it does in Boise. It costs more to construct a house in Moscow than  Boise. Thus, housing is more expensive, less affordable, to live in  Moscow than Boise.

 Saundra mistakenly thinks that students  lower the average income in Moscow. In fact they raise it. College  students actually make more than the average person in Moscow they just  live more poorly because a good portion of that income is spent on fees  given to the University. A college student brings in about $20K a year.  A household of four, a married couple with two children, has an income  of about $30-40K, or less than $10,000 per person.  A college  student household is  $20K  per person.  The student  drives costs up, not down. That is why rent is so high. Four college  student can easily afford a four bedroom house renting at $1200, ($300  a piece). A family of three or four, cannot afford that. Who does the  landlord rent to make the most amount of money? Who is forced into low  income housing?

 So please, do find me a livable, newer, 3  bedroom apartment IN Moscow, for a family of three where the lease  actually runs from June to June that is affordable for a family of  three making the average income in Latah.

  Current Classifieds:
  http://www.nwmarket.com/?pub=dnews

  UI trading Post:
  http://asui.uidaho.edu/trading/index.cgi?mo=minor;minorid=585

  Best,

  _DJA

Saundra Lund <sslund at adelphia.net> wrote:  Hi Wayne,

Not  that I want to confuse Donovan with facts, but to address another  fallacy in his post, while there may be *some* 3 BR apartments in  Moscow that go for $1000, there are many that go for substantially  less. Heck -- even looking at the classifieds now (which isn't a great  time to be looking because much of what's left in this area are high  end or low end rentals that weren't snapped up for the academic year),  once can easily see that there are 3 BR rentals (including houses)  available for substantially less than the $1000 Donovan claims.

Again, though, that's clouding the issue with hard facts  :-)))

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.
- Edmund Burke

*****  Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006, Saundra Lund. Do  not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum  without the express written permission of the author.*****