[Vision2020] All-Candidate's Forum October 17

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Oct 8 08:19:13 PDT 2006

I agree, in part, with Donovan with this.

I think it much more highly probable that important issues would be raised and some not suppressed by having the questions broadly solicited from citizens before and during the debates and then screened for relevance and inappropriateness by a small, broad-based committee during the debate.

I am not sure that the Daily News in its present incarnation has shown that it is aware of the many community issues or has a decent understanding of the complexity of the issues.  I am not sure that the Daily News understands the concept of objectivity anymore, either, especially given the policies and some of the poorly written, fact-mistaken staff editorials.  The factual mistakes in some of these editorials reflect again on the lack of concern for accuracy and spin of some of the "stories" we read in the Daily News.

I am particularly concerned that the questions selected with the Daily News involved will be of the type that broad, milk toast answers can be given so that citizens really learn little of a candidates real views and political agendas instead of specific questions which call for more revealing answers of make an real-answer-avoiding candidate stand out.

My observations (which could be in error) are that the LWV has a much greater level of respect in the community than the Daily News.  I have attended several events in the last year.  After reading about them in the Daily News the next day wondered if the reporter and I attended the same events.  Hence, I think it would behoove the LWV to not besmirch themselves with an association with the newspaper with its present reputation and dilute the effectiveness of their used-to-be more informative forum.

Personally, I prefer a question and answer session where the questions are unscreened or screened for libelous material only, so that I can see how candidates, who must deal with the public, do it face on, live and spontaneously under the pressure of having the public watching.

I am not sure that the LWV would have the courage to use this latter format.

On a side note, I wonder if the LWV forum or any other of the local forums will be presented live in an internet video stream.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com