[Vision2020] [Vision2020 liberals, courts, and Tony (was Pledge)

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 28 07:20:39 PST 2006

With respect to "tar baby," Gary Crabtree wrote:
"The warm fuzzy appreciation for diversity expressed by...?"

Ah, yes -- selective quoting is so useful, particularly if no one catches on
;-)

More *complete* info from the Wikipedia article Gary quoted:
"The Tar-Baby was a doll made of tar and turpentine, used to entrap Bre'r
Rabbit in the second of the Uncle Remus stories. The more that Bre'r Rabbit
fought the Tar-Baby, trying to get free, the more stuck he got.

Thus, a "tar baby" is metaphorically any "sticky situation"[1] that is only
aggravated by efforts to solve it.

Over the years, the term has also acquired a negative connotation as a
derogatory term for African Americans."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_baby

So, unlike the racial epitaph used Tony Simpson, tar baby has valid and
"acceptable non-slur use."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs#T
It's not a term I would use particularly because of the potential for
confusion and exploitation, but I'm not John Kerry or Molly Ivins . . . nor
am I Tony Snow or Mitt Romney.  Nor am I Doug Farris, who used the term
recently here on V2020 in a manner consistent with the valid non-slur use.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Gary.  Actually, I'm not -- selective quoting in
an attempt to make an invalid point is one of my pet peeves.

Back to Shoveling Snow,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****