[Vision2020] Tying the Knot Post-HJR-2

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Nov 28 06:38:24 PST 2006

>From today's (November 28, 2006) UI Argonaut with a special thanks to
Jessica Mullins -

"Some people feel turned upside-down after the passing of HJR-2, also known
as the anti-same-sex marriage amendment, which prohibits same-sex marriage
as well as civil unions in Idaho." - Bruce Mann/Argonaut

Tying the knot post-HJR-2
Written by Jessica Mullins -Argonaut
Tuesday, 28 November 2006

Graduate student Natalie Stone said Idaho doesn't understand what the
consequences of passing HJR -2 will be.

The amendment, commonly known as the anti-same-sex marriage amendment, will
affect more than the gay and lesbian community, said Stone, last spring's
co-chair of the Gay-Straight Alliance.
HJR-2 prohibits not only same-sex marriage, but also same-sex and
opposite-sex civil unions, domestic partnerships or anything approximating
marriage.

The reason the amendment passed was because it wasn't thoroughly explained
as to why people should vote no, said Mo Hendrickson, UI human rights
compliance assistant.
A similar initiative was defeated in Arizona because the voters knew it
affected straight couples, she said.

As a result of the amendment, a straight couple living together in Idaho
can't get benefits because they no longer exist, she said.
On campus, UI can no longer offer housing for domestic partners, said
Michael Griffel, director of University Residences. UI is already making new
arrangements with domestic partners in university housing, Griffel said. The
majority of the couples are heterosexual.

Saving marriage

Many people voted for HJR-2 for religious reasons, Hendrickson said.
Hendrickson comes from a very conservative Christian background and said she
understands why people voted no, even though she is now an active member of
the homosexual community.

"I used to think that homosexuality was one of the worst things under the
sun," she said.

Silas Parks, deputy chief of staff for ASUI, said he is happy the amendment
passed. The conservative Christian said it was expected to pass because
Idaho tends to vote more conservatively.

The amendment coincides with his religious beliefs, he said.
Parks also voted for the amendment because he believes in the nuclear family
and the institution of marriage, he said.

"This amendment is (a step toward) taking marriage out of what it is and
back to where it should be," Parks said. "Trying to get rights for gay
marriage is changing the status quo."

Marriage should be between a man and a woman, Parks said. It is important
because it emphasizes good growth in families, he added.
"I wouldn't say it is discriminating because it is just upholding a
traditional value that has been here," Parks said.

"I can't speak against gay people. They can do whatever they want. But as
for a man and a woman being married, raising children provides growth for
society and thus should gain special help and or privileges."
Parks said he read the different sides of debate for the amendment. He
wasn't entirely sure about the effect the amendment could have on
heterosexual couples.

"I believe in marriage," Parks said. "If a couple wants the benefits of
coupling they can get married."
Because there was already a law in place banning same-sex marriage, the
amendment will have little or no effect, Parks said. One effect it could
have would be making the issue die down more, he said.

The government is supposed to be separate from the church, said Rebecca Rod,
GLBT program coordinator.
Religion shouldn't determine what is in the state constitution, Rod said.
"Otherwise how many religious views would we have to hear in our
constitution?" she asked.

One step back

Travis Shofner, ASUI vice president, said the passing of HJR-2 is a step
back for Idaho.

"I think it is un-American to discriminate against people because of their
personal life and personal decisions," Shofner said. "I would go ahead and
say (the people who voted yes) are ignorant people."
The state didn't have to say people can't get married in Idaho, Shofner
said.

"It is a decision for Idahoans to make at their own pace," Shofner said. "It
is OK if people think gay marriage is wrong. It is not OK for it to be a
policy of the state."
The biggest effect of the passing of the amendment is its emotional impact,
Rod said.
Rod felt disappointed and angry when she heard the amendment passed.
"At this stage in my life I can't believe this is still an issue," Rod said.
"I just can't believe we are fighting this stuff. I can't see that it is a
threat to anyone else's religion or marriage."

People try to keep gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people invisible,
Rod said.
"They try to keep us out in the margins, out of main society," she said. "I
go out there everyday trying to convince people that we are just like them."
"Maybe when heterosexual people are affected people will see how unjust this
is," Rod said. "Once you get a bigger group affected, then you have more
people to rise up and gather forces together and try to right the wrong."

Unwelcome in Idaho

Often, everyone in the gay community is lumped together, Hendrickson said,
rather than looking at individuals and their lives.
It is tough to maintain long-term serious relationships in a society that
doesn't allow it in a legally sanctioned way, Rod said.

"People think about leaving Idaho because of this," Rod said.
Even though they like North Idaho, Hendrickson moved to Washington with her
partner in July to gain residency. After the passing of HJR-2, the couple
has decided to stay in Washington.
The Washington non-discrimination policy includes sexual orientation, Rod
said.

"They are a little more progressive," Hendrickson said. "With things like no
benefits and not being able to even have a civil union in the near future in
Idaho, it would be more heartache than helpful."
Idaho is now denying basic rights, Hendrickson said.
"Washington law says you have to get partner benefits, and when one partner
is working a better job it is nice to have benefits," she said. "That
doesn't happen in Idaho."
Stone, who currently lives with her partner, plans to move away after she
graduates from UI.

"When you fight for a case and work so hard for it and it doesn't happen, it
is just disappointing," Stone said. "I am disappointed and sad for Idaho."
The amendment passing means the fight for equal rights will be longer and
harder, she said.
"The amendment itself builds in prejudice and discrimination," Stone said.
Stone said she doesn't know what has to happen next, but something has to.
Rod plans on staying in Idaho.

"I like it here," she said. "My job is here and my family is here."
Everyone can't leave in the face of these situations, Rod said. Eventually
people will run out of places to run from.
"If we leave, where is the winning in that?" Rod said. "There still will be
a lot of people who live here and who love us, support us, and who have
homosexual children."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in
that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity,
their dignity and personhood."

- Coretta Scott King (March 30, 1998)