[Vision2020] [Vision2020 liberals, courts, and Tony (was Pledge)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Nov 25 22:03:58 PST 2006

Tony, your perpetually gutter-dredging mind really doesn't need to be
further revealed to us.  Betsy is right -- your reply to Sunil was filthy,
and now your response to Paul is as ugly as we expect from you.

In a system where the race of the victim, the poverty of the defendant, and
the socioeconomic disparity between the two of them is a virtual guarantee
of harsher sentences; where Black women and men languish in prison for the
same crimes that affluent whites routinely receive probation or rehab for;
where drug crimes are often punished more harshly than crimes against
children and women; where rape in prison is considered by many to be
inevitable if not just; and where DNA testing has, in fact, exonerated
scores of men whose poverty convicted them more than, say, their semen or
blood, there is need to constantly review and revise the role of the State
to ensure that the rights of all are protected with equal fervor.  It's not
a perfect system, obviously, and yet because it's the best we've got, it
deserves the vigilance and commitment of people like Sunil.  He is not part
of the problem -- he and others are part of the wall of protection that each
one of us has against an overzealous State and a debauched, bloodthirsty
citizenry.

And, speaking of a debauched and bloodthirsty citizenry, your comment about
why Lady Justice is blind tells me that, quite unwittingly, your disdain for
civil rights legitimizes Sunil's work far more than anything I could say.

keely

keely