[Vision2020] A Pledge to real Americans (Mikey Moore)

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 21:13:16 PST 2006

On 11/25/06, Tony <tonytime at clearwire.net> wrote:

> Actually Paul, we DO live in a world where the guilt of those convicted is
> generally obvious.  A very SMALL percentage have been exonerated through DNA
> testing.  Any system of justice administered by fallible humans will have a
> percentage of failures.  This is unavoidable and does not invalidate said
> system.

Tony --

We do not have an appeals process so that murderers may go free. We
have an appeals process so that we are not complicit in the murder of
innocents ourselves. There is a tremendous amount of moral risk in
running a democratic society: we are all responsible for the conduct
of our government, however much we attempt to disclaim that
responsibility. If we are not absolutely certain that, when we deprive
someone of liberty, that we are depriving them of liberty fairly, then
that is not only the responsibility of corrupt judges or incompetent
juries, but of the stakeholders that allowed those corrupt judges to
remain or those incompetent juries to pass judgement.

You seem tremendously cavalier about this, as though, if innocent
people were put to death, it would not be at least partially your
fault. I'm afraid that it would be -- and that it would be mine as
well.

-- ACS