[Vision2020] Re: subdivisions (Was "Tribune Uncovers")

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Tue May 30 10:21:44 PDT 2006

On May 27, 2006, at 8:45 PM, Jeff Harkins wrote:

> Bike trails are an interesting element in the transportation mix.
> I had hoped that the Latah Trail would be a real solution for
> encouraging walking and bike/traffic issues on the east side.  But
> sadly (and I drive adjacent to the trail at least twice a day) I
> have seen wholesale disregard for the trail as a traffic solution.
> Each day, I see more bikers and runners not using the trail -
> instead, opting for using Palouse River Drive or Highway 8 for
> their trek. This is puzzling.  It would be helpful to know why so
> many folks are not using the trail. Now my post is not intended to
> infer that no one uses the trail - each day I also see many folks
> walking with a friend, walking a dog - ie, using the trail - my
> point is that there are many opting to not use the trail.

As someone who lives within a block of the Troy Highway, I can
address why people may not be using the trail with one word--
connectivity.

The trail is disconnected from the largest residential areas by a
busy road and (in places) a steep-banked creek. The only safe places
to cross and get onto it are the lights at Blaine and at the
intersection with 95. If you are feeling really lucky, you can play
dodge-cars at Mt. View or Styner/White. Getting to those
intersections can be a longer distance than folks want to travel
before they begin their trek on the trail. Unless--of course--one
drives to the old Tidyman's and parks there.

Connectivity is more than having one or two or three ways in and out
of a neighborhood. It is having enough close, convenient, and safe
options that people can take what they feel is the most direct route.
It is also nice if they can enjoy the journey.

Kit Craine