[Vision2020] Re: subdivisions (Was "Tribune Uncovers")

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sat May 27 20:45:57 PDT 2006

Different perspectives on subdivisions and related amenities ......

I am puzzled by the posts which refer to lack of
connectivity between subdivisions and lack of access to parks.

I lived in the Frontier Addition for 8 years.  In
addition to road connectivity, there were two
(now three) connections between Frontier and the
connecting living areas - one to the Borah
neighborhood (walk and bike) and one (via stairs)
to Ridge Road and the campus.   A third was
constructed when Frontier II was launched - it is
also walk/bike.  And the Frontier Park is
available.  Surprisingly, many in this
neighborhood strongly opposed the Palouse River Drive ballfields.

The Rolling Hills addition and the new Salisbury
addition are now connected with each other - by
road and the Rolling Hills addition (upper) is
connected to the lower level via
staircase.  These folks all enjoy easy access to
Hordemen Pond, the Joseph Street ball parks,
Mountain View Park and the Aquatic Center as well
as the Latah Fairgrounds and the Lions Park.

Oddly enough, residents around 3rd and 6th St are
vocally opposed to connecting the subdivisions
with their neighborhoods by completing the bridge for the "planned arterial".

Should there be additional parks created? - Of
course - parks are usually nice additions to a
community, unless they are ballfields.

But, who should pay for them?  Users, those in
the immediate neighborhood or general
taxpayers?  Given all the wrangling over parks
and park use, perhaps it is time to consider
"private parks".  Such parks would be paid for by
local residents for the exclusive use of those
residents - include athletic facilities (tennis,
golf, lawn bowling, etc), social activities and like-minded folks?

On that theme, would it be reasonable to have the
Thompson property developed as a private living
community with restricted access - perhaps offer
golf, tennis, equestrian amenities - parklike
appearance, but no public access?  This would
probably require a change in the prohibition of
gated communities, but it would allow individuals
to seek living sites that catered to their
personal interests.  It would seem to eliminate
many of the disputes between neighbors, e.g.,
dogs versus no dogs, cats versus no cats,
children versus no children, outside storage
versus no outside storage, "ugly" houses next to
"nice" houses, approved landscaping versus eclectic landscaping.

Would such a project be compatible with a "smart growth" agenda?

Should there be improved transportation queues?
Of course. Who should pay for them? Users, those
in the immediate neighborhood or general
taxpayers?  The current model seems to be built
around the view that subdivision streets and
sidewalks are covered by developers - which means
the cost is impounded in the price of the
lot.  Arterials are financed by general
taxpayers.  Are their alternatives to this model?

Bike trails are an interesting element in the
transportation mix.  I had hoped that the Latah
Trail would be a real solution for encouraging
walking and bike/traffic issues on the east
side.  But sadly (and I drive adjacent to the
trail at least twice a day) I have seen wholesale
disregard for the trail as a traffic
solution.  Each day, I see more bikers and
runners not using the trail - instead, opting for
using Palouse River Drive or Highway 8 for their
trek. This is puzzling.  It would be helpful to
know why so many folks are not using the trail.
Now my post is not intended to infer that no one
uses the trail - each day I also see many folks
walking with a friend, walking a dog - ie, using
the trail - my point is that there are many opting to not use the trail.

Question, if a more extensive bike trail system
were built, would it be appropriate to mandate
that bikers and walkers use the trails?