[Vision2020] year round school

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Mon May 22 22:44:51 PDT 2006

When one analyses math and science performance in comparative studies such
as the TIMSS that is quoted by both sides of the aisle in Congress, the
most obvious difference and there are exceptions (Sweden) is the number of
teaching days.  Tom Trail has much detail about the number of teaching
days.  Basically at the 4th grade the U.S. is close to the top, by the 8th
grade close to the center and by graduation close to the bottom in scienc
and math.  Number of days does not mean more hours/day.  Sleep studies show
that the "sleepist decade" for humans is  biologic age
10-20.  Another  more practical example is the practice of the piano with
this question: Will the average piano student do better practicing one hour
a day seven days a week or one day for 7 hours?  Our  industrialized
competitors average 211 days of instruction.  The 180 school year was the
longest school year in 1906 and was started in Mass.  However, the best US
students (top 10%) are in the top and our college and university system is
by far the best in the world and that is where we make it up.  Lester
Thurow of MIT (economics) has much written on this subject. I agree with
Tom Trail that we should have a 200 day school year and I agree with
Governor Mark Warner about taking care of the kids who do not go to college
by offering skills training.  jerry