[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Equals Higher Poverty Rates

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sun May 21 16:57:35 PDT 2006

Thanks, Jerry, for the model review. As you
rightly point out, any general study's
conclusions have to be treated with a grain of
salt when applied to a specific, in this case,
local situation. However, that does not diminish
the study's general conclusion that was derived
using data related to all (about 3000 at the time
of the study) Walmart stores. The authors note:

Wal-Mart avoids counties with higher population
density (at least until recently) in part
because of higher land costs in these counties,
and while the chain has traditionally located in
rural communities, it also avoids less populated, more remote places.

The above appears to describe Latah County, and
Moscow in particular, fairly well. We may not be
in the center of the study's Bell curve, but I
bet we're not too far off to either side.

Mark