[Vision2020] Wal-Mart Equals Higher Poverty Rates

Jerry Weitz gweitz at moscow.com
Sun May 21 16:22:02 PDT 2006

I reviewed the Wal-Mart and County-Wide Poverty and was impressed that they
used a two stage regression model that we use in Medicine/dentistry for
epidemiological studies with multivariates.  Briefly and I am not an
expert, the first stage (an unstructured polytomous logistic regression
approach) models the effects of covariates that can be defined by
cross-classifications.  The second stage (the subtype-specific regression
parameters of the first stage model) are modeled by using  the multivariate
structure of the subtype definitions and the possible ordering of
continuous naturing of certain characteristics.  Thus the second stage
modeling reduces dimensional biases.  The complexity of variables in
economics causes a study such as this to be suspect and the authors
conclusions kind of let them off the hook in that "Wal-Mart creates both
benefits and costs to communities."   So if there are omitted variables and
a spacial dependence bias, then at least  two stage modeling methodology
can be efficiently corrected.  What was missing for our region was the
effect of large government programs such as CRP: CRP effects on small ag
business such as repair shops, farm supply, equipment dealerships,
fertilizer companies, land value and sales etc.  Other variates such as
having a large student population relative the general population,  a
declining forest industry, relative lack of large private sector businesses
may be variates that would require future inquiry.

 From my world  examples:  PSA for Prostate Cancer Screening.  Recall that
"an epidimic of prostate cancer" occured in the media since PSA
introduction.  However the question is:  would have Noble Laureate Linus
Pauling who died at 93 with prostate cancer would have lived longer with
therapies administered to him with a PSA test at age 60 or would the
therapies caused him to die earlier?   Another, would CT for lung cancer
screening for Peter Jennings who died at 67 caused him to live
longer?  Presently U. S. Preventive Services Task Force states "current
data do not support screening for lung cancer with any method."   Or
another drug study: Bextra (cox-2inhibitor) where the contol proved to be
flawed yet the compaarative study was not flawed.  The drug was thrown out
of the market.

Hence studies are easlily biased and can lead to bad
information/actions.  The question to be answered:  Would it be in the
interest of Moscow to have commercial development shift to the
corridor?  Would this help or hinder the school district revenues since the
district has now stabilized enrollment after significant ADA declines from
the mid 90's. jerry