[Vision2020] When Moscow Doubles in Population

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sun May 21 08:34:01 PDT 2006

I too have heard Mr. Lambert refer to a doubling of population in
Idaho over 15 years. However, I have yet to hear anyone say that
Moscow's population will follow that same curve. Moscow has had an
averaged growth rate of 1%/year for decades and there is no reason to
assume it will be changing anytime soon, especially given the
restraint of available water supply and the somewhat steady state of
our leading economic drivers (UI, ag, retail and, to a lesser extent,
technology).

Here's an open question, that I keep hoping someone more versed in
statistical analysis than myself would undertake: how much of the 1%
Moscow growth rate was driven by the artificial restraint on
development of ag land in Whitman County and what the anticipated
effect on future Moscow growth might be?

  My quick look at the Pullman annual growth rate is 0.5% annually
from 1990-2004. Given the similar nature of the Moscow/Pullman
economies and the removal of the ag land development restriction it
is more likely that we'll see a leveling of the growth rates between
the two: 0.75% annually for Moscow. Of course, we are a different
community with different amenities (such as a forested mountain just
outside of town) but I would like someone to explain why we should
either plan for or expect our population to double in 15 years when
there is no historical trend to indicate it will occur. We are not
Boise or Coeur d'Alene or Sandpoint or McCall or Kuna or Meridian
or....

Then there is that water thing.

Mark Solomon