[Vision2020] When Moscow Doubles in Population

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Sun May 21 08:02:47 PDT 2006

I was at the Affordable Housing workshop yesterday afternoon, and as it
broke up, got to chatting will Bill Lambert who mentioned that Idaho is
predicted to double its population in the next 15 years. Lets assume, for a
minute, that is true, and further that Moscow will participate and as a
visioning group, work on a thought experiment. For point of topicality, lets
say the doubling will be achieved in the year 2020 (14 years).

Rules for this conversation: you must be as explicit as you can about your
assumptions, but you are allowed to make them -- even like this one:  for
point of this conversation, assume Moscow has a population of 20,000 now and
will grow to 40,000.  Others are allowed to talk about your assumptions, or
to make counter assumptions.  Bashing one another is not interesting.

My suggested goal for the opening part of this conversation -- surface the
topics for the sub-conversation. What are the big areas and issues we need
to think about? The big areas will either be represented by government and
civic organizations in existence today, or they will point to organizational
gaps we need to consider filling.

If you will make your subject line informative, like this, we'll all be
better able to track what may be multiple threads of the conversation: When
Moscow Doubles - Topic Water

I'm looking forward to your help thinking out this question.