[Vision2020] Crabtree's Breach Of Trust Serious Ethical Fault

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat May 20 17:34:33 PDT 2006

Art et. al.

There is no "innocent mistake" in regards to this issue.  And I'm surprised
to read this statement, Wayne, when the post in question leaves little doubt
that there was no "innocent mistake."

Given Crabtree's conduct on this issue, I found Scott Dredge's comment about
Crabtree "seizing the moral high ground" just too much to ignore:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2006-May/029884.html

"...and after legitimately seizing the moral high ground, climbing up
further to the pinnacle and suggesting that we move on.  My hat is off to
you."

Crabtree was quite explicit, give him credit for that, that he was sending a
communication from Joe to the list that Joe might have preferred to keep "on
the down low."

Crabtree admits there may be a "breach of net etiquette" in this same post
where Joe's private e-mail is included, which is clearly labeled "OFFLINE,"
with only Crabtree's e-mail in the "To" line, with no "CC" addresses
either.  I can give Crabtree credit for presenting the e-mail from Joe with
no attempt to hide the fact that Joe's e-mail was private and labeled in
caps "OFFLINE."

I think that it is an important principle to insist that clearly labeled
private e-mail not be forwarded to the Vision2020 list, and it is rather
obvious that Crabtree knowingly forwarded Joe's private e-mail to Vision2020
to deliberately place Joe in a compromising situation:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2006-May/029780.html

Joe, I am sure that you would have preferred to keep this communication on
the down low, but I really thought that some of our friends on the Vision
would enjoy getting to see a different side of our mild mannered, oh so
reasonable, philosophy professor, the esteemed Dr. Joseph Campbell. If this
is in bad form or a breach of net etiquette, I'll try to deal with the
sorrow.
------