[Vision2020] Real men in the real world

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Sun May 14 13:05:43 PDT 2006

What do I know about real men, Ed?  I know that they are neither
terrified of nor threatened by women.  I know that they are not empty
blowhards who lash out at strangers in cyberspace but cower before real
people in public.  I know that real men are not afraid to display grief
or affection because they know the difference between having a rich and
full emotional life and what you so revealing term "weakness."  I live
with a real man; I grew up with real men; I appreciate real men.
You're not a real man, Ed.  You're not a man at all.  You're an
overgrown boy.  You demonstrate this ten times a day on Vision 2020
(and God knows where else).  You offer a pitiful spectacle of arrested
development.  I don't care how old you are; you have some serious
growing up to do.  Is it too late for you to enlist in, say, the Eagle
Scouts?

You'd rather a woman bore your children?  Poor woman.  Poor children.
Poor us.  You'd rather a man stood alongside you in battle?  For
heaven's sake, what do you know of battle?  My father-in-law did two
tours of duty in Vietnam.  He fought the NVA in 1967 during the Tet
Offensive.  Did that make him a real man?  No.  He was a man before he
left, and he was a man when he came back.  You won't catch him bragging
about what he did in 'Nam.  That sort of crap makes him sick -- he says
the braggers all sat in the rear on the gear.  I can shoot the wings
off a fly, Ed, and I'd be willing to bet that I could throw you flat on
your back two out of three for a submission.  But none of that really
matters, does it?  You like your world black and white, literally.  You
don't deal well with complexity.  It scares you.  It makes you too
aware of your shortcomings.  Better to stay in the box with the packing
peanuts, safe and sound from the unpleasant drops and those
nerve-wracking bumps.

You don't know where I've been or what I've done, Ed.  You don't know
what any woman on this list has endured, survived, or triumphed over.
You don't know how tough we are or how much we appreciate the strong
men who grace our lives.  I wish I could believe that you had graced
some woman's life, or that you might grow enough in the future to make
yourself of use to some woman somewhere before you shuffle off this
mortal coil.  But I feel very cynical about your prospects.  Live and
learn?  You have to live well, and you have to be willing to learn.
You've shut your ears to what just over 50% of the population has to
teach you.  You're going nowhere, Eddie.  Nowhere fast.

Happy Mother's Day.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

"More man than you'll ever be; more woman than you'll ever get."