[Vision2020] Joan: not at all dangerous

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun May 14 08:31:33 PDT 2006

I read this after I read Ed's screed on "real men" and "real women."  I was
temted to respond to Ed, who told us that real women know they should not
hold positions of authority, that real men must protect them and never cry
-- a sign of weakness, Ed blusters.  I was appropriately revulsed, angry,
and saddened.

Then I read this.  I know that it will feed Ed's ravenous vitriol, and that
my own husband might be caught in the smorgasbord.  But what Joan wrote fed
me, too, albeit in different ways.  Her analysis of Kirk "masculinity"
strikes me as right on; I wish I could take credit for it.  They are future
men in every sense, although I suppose that statement -- "future men" --
expresses certainty in what I can only hope for them -- the attainment of
full, mature, Christian masculinity.  It will look absolutely nothing like
Ed, or ToeKnee, or Doug Farris/Wilson/Jones, and a great deal like the
historical Jesus.

You know -- the one who wept, who upheld and respected and encouraged women
as equals, and who saved his verbal fire for the powerful, pompous and
privileged.  Sorry, Ed.  If your Savior is a misanthropic blowhard, you've
got the wrong one.

For those of you interested in Biblical feminism, even if just to see if
such a thing exists, check out Christians for Biblical Equality at cbe.org.
As we CBE'ers say, ". . . hey, Jesus started it!"

Yours in radical equality between the sexes,

keely