[Vision2020] Re: Only the short sighted think Death Penalty Must Be Aboli...

ToeKneeTime at aol.com ToeKneeTime at aol.com
Thu May 4 11:24:08 PDT 2006

Joe,

Couple good questions, here we go.

The logic that the death penalty does not deter violent crime because
America has capital punishment and also has high rates of violent crime, ignores  2
important points.  1)  This country has no realistic program for  capital
punishment.  Offenders languish on death row for more than a  decade in many
cases.  Were justice rendered more swiftly, we might see a  corresponding decrease
in violent crime.  2)  Your argument sounds  awfully close to an ad hoc ergo
prompter hoc fallacy.  Could there not be  other factors at work in this
scenario?

Regarding my comparison between lives saved by capital punishment verses  the
elimination of an occasional inappropriately applied execution:  It is  just
inconceivable that the very small number of innocents executed by the  state
could possibly come close to the number of future victims of predators  spared
execution.  It is silly to demand studies in support of the  blatantly obvious.

You misquote me when you say that I regard it as "OK" that an occasional
innocent should be executed.  I of course never said that.  I regard  it as a
tragic but unavoidable consequence of the administering  of justice by fallible
human beings.

With regard to my Mom's money,  I spent it pursuing something far more
important than logic:  Booze and broads.

Making Mommy proud,  --Tony