[Vision2020] Dear President Bush

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue May 2 11:21:52 PDT 2006

Dear President Bush:

I don't know what else to do, so I'm coming to see you.  I'm hoping
that as a good Christian man you will understand that I must do this
for my family.

I know it isn't your fault, but after your predecessors disposed of
several of our democratically elected leaders, I thought you might
feel some responsibility for the mess that this caused.  Your father
was head of the CIA, for a while, wasn't he?  Do you think you could
ask him about Pinochet?  Was he really better than Allende?  Some of
us are also curious about Guzmán.  Would you ask about him, too?

My needs are small.  I thought that if maybe some of your staffers
forfeited their lattes for one week a month it would be enough to feed
my extended family back home.

We don't have running water or indoor plumbing in our village -- no,
really, I'm not joking -- but I thought it would be a fair trade if we
were allowed to shower at your home in exchange for my wife and I and
our children scrubbing the public toilets at the White House.

I saw on the news that the combined per capita GDP of Bolivia,
Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama,
Paraguay, and Peru doesn't quite equal the GDP of a single U.S.
citizen.  Your nation is truly blessed by God!  I know that the
Christians in your nation will be happy to share, as Jesus would have
done.

I work for Dole picking bananas on a huge plantation.  I make pretty
good money.  Last month I made $150.  I'm much more fortunate than my
friend in Ecuador, who made $56.  I saw on the news that some U.S.
teenagers spend more money on their High School graduations than I
made all of last year.  Of course, I know that this had to be an
enormous lie.  Still, it does give me hope that life for myself and my
family will be much better in your prosperous, wonderful homeland.

Thank you so much for your kind understanding.