[Vision2020] Family Housing flooded: Re; school facilities di scussion

Area Man areaman at moscow.com
Thu Mar 30 06:34:33 PST 2006

Donovan says:
". . . having seen the damage myself, that the water overflowed and that
was horrible planning to build there under those circumstances. But it
will not happen again, the University widened the channel and moved it
over. They are not going to let their 15 million dollar recreation
center and 20 million dollar new student housing units get wet."

Don't bet the farm on that, man.  You can do all the planning for
flooding  you want, but there's always something that can throw a wrench
into the works.  If we get another heavy icepack that breaks up and gets
jammed under the various bridges and culverts around town the rec center
is vulnerable.  All the channelling in the world can't predict what
could happen.  Of course, the U of I is giving it the ol' "college try."
(how pun-tastic is that?!?!)

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature,

DC