[Vision2020] Family Housing flooded: Re; school facilities di scussion

Tom Hansen idahotom at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 06:47:13 PST 2006

I tend to agree, Mr. Carscallen.

I was living in Park Village Apartments (PVA) in February 1996 when the
flood hit.

The Wallace Residents Office sent a person door to door in PVA that day to
inform us that we basically had three hours to evacuate.

Paradise Creek, that is usually no more than a few inches deep at its
deepest point, flooded our ground floor apartment with almost four feet of
water.  I lost virtually everything in the apartment.

UI was nice enough, however, to offer the effected residents a $1,000
interest-free loan, which came in handy, as my wife and I spent the next ten
days in the Mark IV Hotel.  All this occurred during the last semester of my
senior year at UI.

Trust me.  You don't understand stress and pressure until you have had to
continue with senior projects, exams, etc. etc. while moving from a flooded
apartment into a hotel room, and from there (luckily) into our current
apartment.

It was fun.

If intersted, I have loads of photos of the flood.  contact me off list and
I will share . . .