[Vision2020] "Please sir, can I have some more?" RE: parking downtown

Steven Basoa sbasoa at moscow.com
Sat Mar 25 12:02:46 PST 2006

On Mar 25, 2006, at 12:16 AM, Donovan Arnold wrote:

I say your problem with downtown is not how little room there is for
MORE cars, it is that there are TOO MANY cars. Shut downtown off from
cars, use trolleys and shuttles around the center of town. The campus
did it. We don't need 20,000 cars and trucks zooming around a town
only 2 miles by 4 miles; it is silly and wasteful. If the city made
vehicular travel more cumbersome and public and pedestrain
transportation more accessible they would see stock in the downtown
area rise. I hate transportation downtown, you cannot access
idowntown because of all the cars and congestion. And the cars really
detract from the otherwise  pleasant shopping experience downtown.
Downtown was not designed to hold all that traffic and shove cars in
like sardines. It is much easier and safer to go to the mall when
downtown gets abused with that much traffic and congestion.

_DJA

Donovan:
I agree that it would be a great idea to make downtown Moscow a
pedestrian paradise by closing it off to vehicular traffic.  However
that idea won't work for the simple reason that both Jackson and
Washington streets are state highways.  Although a [western] highway
bypass has been desperately needed for many, many years, the Idaho
Transportation Department doesn't agree.  According to Ken Helm of
the ITD, a bypass for Moscow won't be necessary for at least 20 years
(I believe they did a study on this several years ago).  Which means
we're stuck with the state highway cutting through the heart of
downtown.  But keep on pushing for this idea, I think it's a great one.

-SB