[Vision2020] Borah Symposium:Three Disastrous Years in Iraq

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Tue Mar 21 17:25:22 PST 2006

Dear Visionaries:

In short, I'm with Ted.  His analysis is spot-on.  We need only remind
ourselves of the disintegration of Yugoslavia (minus that crucial 30%
of the world's proven oil reserves) to get some idea of how a
multi-state, ethnically-divided Iraq might function.  Or, rather, make
that dysfunction.  Unfortunately, poor planning (no planning?) on the
part of our political leaders has already led to the creation of
autonomous mini-states in several regions of the country.  When Donald
Rumsfeld talks of our training and arming Iraqi security forces, in
many cases what he's talking about is handing over guns and ammo to
local warlords.  Afghanistan all over again?  Why did we think we'd
succeed where the British had failed?  Iraq is a colonialist creation;
it has only ever been held together by an oppressive, centralized,
totalitarian dictatorship.  We've dismantled the secular Baath Party,
and now we're surprised that old ethnic and religious tensions are
surfacing and tearing apart the Project for a New American Century's
pipe dream of a multi-ethnic democracy?  Good grief.  Where are the old
foreign policy pragmatists?  When was Brent Scowcroft replaced by the
Tooth Fairy?  I wonder who's going to break the news to George Bush
that there is no Santa Claus?

Colin Powell told George Bush, "You break Iraq; you buy it."  And here
we are -- the proud owners of a shattered Mesopotamia.  The problem
with a U. S. pullout is that we cannot afford to have Iraq's oil under
the control of a radical Islamic regime, an Iranian government by
proxy, but we also can't allow the country to fall into complete chaos.
  Yes, I know Iraq is chaotic now, and, yes, I believe that if the
country isn't already embroiled in a civil war that's only because we
keep changing our definitions.  The Sunnis and the Shiites are killing
one another, tit-for-tat; 65 men here, 80 men there.  And the Kurds?
They have always wanted their independence.  They're playing along with
the United States for the time being, but that will not last.  This is
their last, best chance to fulfill a century-old nationalist dream; why
do we imagine they won't take it?

If you read the British newspapers, then you know that the British
military no longer has control of the seaport of Basra in the south.
Once Gordon Brown replaces Tony Blair (a matter of months, according to
most UK news sources), we are likely to see a sure and steady
withdrawal of British forces from Iraq.  That will leave us with an
international coalition of whom?  The United States and ten advisors
from Micronesia?  I see no good way to leave Iraq, but I also don't see
how we can afford to stay.  After World War II, we occupied Japan -- an
ethnically homogenous country which had unconditionally surrendered to
us -- for ten years.  It took 300,000 troops in country for a full
decade to maintain order, to rebuild the Japanese economy, and to
establish a legitimate democratic government.  What are we willing to
commit to Iraq?  What will the popular will (and purse) of this country
bear?  We're working with a 9 trillion-dollar deficit now.  Nine.
Trillion.  Dollars.

I don't know about Saddam Hussein, but I'm shocked and I'm awed.  How
could we have dug such an amazing hole for ourselves in such a few
short years?  And what politician has the strength, the will, or the
vision to get out the really tall ladder?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com