Who's Anti-Business? (was RE: [Vision2020] Understanding Alturas)

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Sun Mar 19 14:20:55 PST 2006

The "problem" with Potting Shed Creations relocating in Moscow was a
lack of parking for their employees. Although the Latah Distributer’s
building was advertised as having ten onsite places, in reality those
only existed if the loading docks were blocked.

The "solution" was to have the City vacate a the West end of West
Morton--something that would have provided (if I recall correctly)
parking for 17 employees. In return, the neighboring business would
have lost the public right-of-way needed so that trucks delivering to
their premisis could turn around, then back into their loading dock.
The City would also have lost any future opportunity to connect
Morton to North Almon. To top that off, it would have been giving
away public rights to $50,000-$60,000 of real property.

The real problem is that Moscow does not have enough Industrial zoned
land to accommodate this type of wealth-producing business. The best
place Potting Sheds Creations could find in Moscow was an old beer
distributer at the bottom of a steep hill on a dead-end street which
did not have adequate parking. Perhaps that's one of the reasons
Moscow is seen as "anti-business". The lack of appropriated zoned
land and rezoning on demand--if you can afford the time an money--are
things that have been going on for years.

Perhaps the need for industrial space should be addressed in the
upcoming revision of the comprehensive plan.

Kit Craine