[Vision2020] RE: Unstable, Doomed, Missed Points

John D johnd550 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 13:10:10 PST 2006

Melynda Huskey <melynda at moscow.com> wrote:

  > So, Jeff, you would certainly take issue with Walmart's decision not to
  > provide the "morning-after" contraceptive pill to any of its customers?
  > Even after several states adopted specific legislation to require it to
  > do so, Walmart resisted making this legal, safe, and cheap
  > pharmaceutical birth control choice available to customers when
  > prescribed by a doctor--and it still permits, even encourages,
  > individual pharmacists to refuse to fill the prescription, even when
  > patients have no other pharmacy available to them (as in small towns
  > where other drug stores have been driven out of business by Walmart).

  I agree with this analysis:
  http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/walmart.htm
 Are there really places that are so isolated that they are not within driving distance of a pharmacy other than Wal-Mart, but still big enough to suport a Wal-Mart in the first place?

  > Similarly, some years ago, Walmart pulled teeshirts depicting a cartoon
  > character saying "Some day a girl will be President," from all its
  > stores, stating in a press release that the shirts were in conflict with
  > the corporation's "family values." Presumably those are the same values
  > that keep women from advancing within the company.

 That's not exactly right. In 1994, the t-shirts (around 100 of them) were pulled from the ONE store in Florida where they were available, apparently because of a customer complaint. After one day of protests, Wal-Mart apologized and sold 50,000 t-shirts in 74 percent of their stores. You can read the story as Ann Moliver Ruben tells it herself here:
  http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KVD/is_3_2/ai_95447403/pg_2

  > I can't have every single possible choice. Why shouldn't we, as a community,
  > try to exercise responsibly the functionally limited choices we have?

  Because history has not been kind to experimental alternatives to the free market.