[Vision2020] Wal-Mart: Replies to Donovan and Crabtree

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 21:28:36 PST 2006

Crabtree, Donovan et. al.

If I may interject, I have a few simple points to suggest regarding the
assertion that preventing a Super Wal-Mart from being built in Moscow is
dictating others shopping choices.

Isn't Wal-Mart trying to dictate others shopping choices?

Isn't Wal-Mart seeking to push other businesses out to gain more market
share and profit?

Why should those questioning the wisdom of the proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter
in Moscow be charged with limiting shopping choices, when Wal-Mart seeks
exactly this goal, with far more resources at their disposal than Joe
Campbell or the MCA?

Do you think Wal-Mart believes building two supercenters a mere 11 miles
apart on the Palouse will encourage more and varied types of business to
offer shoppers more varied choices on the Palouse?  They may say this in
their propaganda, but the Wal-Mart bean counters know they have a good
chance to hurt Safeway's business, for example, in the Eastside Marketplace,
and force them out.

It is a no-brainer that Safeway will be threatened and may go under if the
proposed Wal-Mart supercenter is built in Moscow at the proposed location.
This means those who support this supercenter may, in effect, if not
intent, dictate my shopping choices.  I like many of the products Safeway
offers, Wal-Wart does not sell these products, thus Wal-Mart is seeking to
limit my shopping choices if they push Safeway out... as they should seek to
do in the world of capitalist businesses seeking to push other businesses
out to gain more market share and profit.  There is evidence that Safeway at
Eastside operated at a loss in competing with Tidymans.  Wal-Mart can
operate a store at a loss indefinitely.  When a huge corporation can operate
in this manner, what chance to fairly compete do smaller businesses have,
whether local or not, that cannot tolerate an unprofitable business location
(see reference to anti-trust law at bottom)?

The idea of full laissez faire capitalism is just that, an "idea."  The
reality is that business is regulated by federal, state and local law for
good reasons, and the types of businesses that can locate in a community,
and their conduct, is thus validly addressed by government regulation, in
consideration of the impact a business will have, and to promote fair
competition.  The idea of the "free marketplace" operating without
government regulation, where all businesses have some sort of
theoretical "equal chance," and the consumer with their "free" shopping
choices becomes the ultimate arbiter of what businesses will survive, thus
resulting in the best outcome for all based on the needs of the consumer, is
an illusion  The debate is merely about what set of values we are going to
reference in using government to regulate business so that the "free
marketplace" does not result in an egregious outcome.  If a XXX porno shop
specializing in sado-masochistic bondage paraphernalia, with hookers and
dealers on the local street corner, located near your house, you might
suddenly be advocating limiting of others shopping choices, even if this
business was booming.  And if a community decides that a more local, varied
and decentralized business base is better for the community in the long run,
or if the proposed location of a huge business creates problems for the
planning goals of the community (traffic, developmental blight, water use,
etc.) government can and should set limits on the size and/or location
of potentially monopolistic oriented powerful businesses seeking to gain
market dominance, especially in a small community.

Wal-Mart can influence consumers with its huge advertising budget (over 400
million dollars annually) in a manner many local smaller businesses,
and even Safeway (only operating in the USA and Canada), cannot.  They also,
as I pointed out, can tolerate an unprofitable store location maintaining
low prices till competitors go under.

I don't need to discuss Wal-Mart's wages or medical benefits, or connections
to exploitation of cheap labor under the rule of the human rights denying
gulag operating Chinese Communist Party, to make an argument questioning
Wal-Mart's goals in Moscow, but I find it laughable and sad that advocates
of free market democratic society think that huge US based multinational
corporations doing business with human rights denying communist
dictatorships does not imply a blind spot in applying our values to our
international policies..

What may block the proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter in Moscow is not an effort
to single out Wal-Mart, but a measure to limit the size of a business
(square footage) that can build in Moscow, for a variety of reasons, a limit
that will apply across the board equally, to Costco, Target, Home Depot,
ShopCo, etc. or any local business, for that matter.

I think we should discuss regarding the proposed Moscow Wal-Mart
Supercenter:

What is the point of anti-trust laws?  Have these laws been watered down in
application in recent years in our economic/ political system?  Are huge
multinational corporations taking away the power of local communities and
businesses to control their own future based on their own best interests?
Is the multinational globalized business model the best in the long run,
considering that cheap fossil fuel energy makes this business model
possible, cheap energy that will in the not too distant future become very
expensive and depleted?  Should local communities start planning for the
collapse or weakening of this globalized business model in view of fossil
fuel depletion?  And what should concern every Moscow resident, over all
other considerations, is that the light pollution from the proposed Wal-Mart
Supercenter will ruin the view towards Tomer Butte on lovely moonlit
nights...Of course it already is ruined compared to how I once enjoyed this
view of Tomer Butte on lovely moonlit nights from Kenneth St. in the late
1960s, when Kenneth St. was the edge of town, and no flashing cell phone
tower was in the way.
 antitrust: an overview

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Antitrust
Trusts and monopolies are concentrations of wealth in the hands of a few.
Such conglomerations of economic resources are thought to be injurious to
the public and individuals because such trusts minimize, if not obliterate
normal marketplace competition, and yield undesirable price controls. These,
in turn, cause markets to stagnate and sap individual initiative.

I now return you to your regular programming...

Ted Moffett