[Vision2020] Wal-Mart: Replies to Donovan and Crabtree

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Thu Mar 2 18:37:03 PST 2006

My goodness, Campbell, I sure am glad you aren't the touchy, sensitive type.
I'd be worried that I might displease you by the act of disagreement. A
crime punishable by wounded post script. What part of my thinking that you
are wrong is insulting exactly? Is it just the fact that I dare?  Or was it
being referred to as "junior"? (as contrasted by Nick Gier's senior) Or was
it that I referred to you as a "philosopher" a profession that you have told
me repeatedly is a source of enormous pride to you. I really don't get it.

Anyway, as long as you've got a case of the all bent out of shape, lets take
a look at your responses to my point about aesthetics. Rather than telling
me how the drawings for the proposed SWM don't live up to your highly
refined concept of what's beautiful and what's not, you resort to the Popeye
edict  "I'ze taken all'z  I can takes and I can't take's na more" Amazing
how it occurs when you've got a crowd to sing the "me too" chorus.
Politically expedient.

Joe sez (I'd stick to the more formal Mr. Campbell but at this stage it
seems it really doesn't matter what I say it'll be seen as deadly insult) in
response to my assertion that preventing a SWM from being built is dictating
others shopping choices..."YOU ARE WRONG. (my emphasis) There is a
difference between dictating what people do and using one’s words to
influence what people do. The latter respects that people have the
capacities to reason and make decisions for themselves. The former does
not." How are you "influencing" people with words not to shop someplace when
by your actions you prevent that venue from being built? Wouldn't seem to
matter much what the "people" think or "reason." You've made the decision
for them.

Joe, I've really got to admit that I got a genuine belly laugh from your gas
station argument. By your logic all wal marts as well as all gas stations in
Latah Co. should be built on the east side of Granddad bridge, definitely
reduces that pesky foot traffic. So just exactly what sort of "smart growth"
retail can exist within the 1/2 mile exclusionary zone of Casa Campbell? Are
you going to complain to the MCityA council if the kids down the street open
a lemonade stand? That would be sad.

" Crabtree asks that I provide evidence for exploitation in the form of some
pro-Wal-Mart website." No, Joseph, I asked for hard evidence of your
assertion of human rights violations by showing me convictions in a court of
law.  Either the Dept. of Justice has wracked up the stats. or it hasn't.
Pretending that this is asking the impossible is to admit that your argument
is lacking.

Lastly Joe, I don't much care if you say the pledge of allegiance or not.
Nobody has made any judgment as to your level of perfection and I am most
certainly not condemning you. I disagree with you. In some way or another,
on one topic or another,  I am sure I disagree with every person on this
list. I hope that they aren't all insulted as easily as you.

hugs & kisses,
The Guy