[Spam] RE: [Vision2020] Good bye my dear friend

Michael Curley curley at turbonet.com
Sat Mar 4 14:05:39 PST 2006

Chris:
I defer to you and others who were good friends of Phil.
I would only point out that if you are considering a 2020 "memorial"
to Phil, perhaps it could start not so much with kinder, gentler
words but with a willingness to listen and understand--and
occasionally grant that not everything is a simple two-sided issue.
Phil's words, posted by Dave Johnson were:

"The biggest real advantage that can come of the list serv is to
break past the normal barriers to left right discourse and make those
who tend to demonize their opposition see people rather than enemies
in their line of sight.  I actually post there in hope that it can
heal rifts rather than continue to create them.

"The red blue chasm that political warfare has spawned in the USA is
particularly strong in Moscow.  Either it has to be healed or civic
discourse will continue to falter.  Unlike other areas in Idaho,
Moscow is fairly evenly divided between the parties, so solving it is
more important here than in other locations in the state."

After he died, I still had many messages on my "new mail" list from
Phil--and responses thereto from others.  I wondered if anyone
thought  "I wish my tone had been different to Phil in the last post
I made to him."

It's obviously too late to tell Phil.  Perhaps part of Phil's legacy
can be that we talk to one another in ways we would not regret if
death or disability struck either of us the next day. In ways that do
not demonize. Ways that see people, not enemies.  In ways that, at
least occasionally, span the chasm.

Regards to all,
Mike Curley