[Vision2020] Eavesdropping

Pat Kraut pkraut at moscow.com
Thu Mar 2 23:18:57 PST 2006

How in the world do you get from cell phones making foreign calls and
talking about bombs to storm troopers entering houses?? The issues are
totally different and new technology in communications require new ways of
working for the courts and cops. I love warrants...I just do not want to tie
the hands of the cops so tightly that we are not safe. There has to be a way
for us to work this out so that responsible people can check out bad people
before someone or a lot of someones die...not after. I understand the
problem Phil but at least Bush has qualified his listening...we just have to
pray for who ever is next that they have some integrity. (Oh Joy, here comes
all the attacks on Bush.....)

Sunil

What about the case of wireless transmission?  My understanding was that in
the case of portable phones and radio phones the rules with regards to
warrants were not the same as with land lines.  Would the same rule be true
if satellite or cell phones were involved?

Then the other question would be if a call originates from out side of
CONUS, do those rules apply?

Phil

PS, To Pat, its a pretty rare case that would justify warrantless search.
Its a way slippery slope to domestic spying once it becomes standard
procedures and if it gets allowed under one party, what happens when the
other gets into power?