[Vision2020] Fourth Amendment Not Partisan Issue

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 13:07:21 PST 2006

All:

Stop this silly partisan bickering...!  The Fourth Amendment is not a
partisan issue!  And Phil is quite right that our constitutional protections
were undermined during the Clinton years in serious ways.  Does this justify
the Bush administration's constitutional violations?

Phil wrote:

"Now bring me a case of the Bush administration conducting wire tapping
without warrant on a US citizen in a domestic political matter..."

Given the fact the NSA has bypassed the FISA court that oversees
intelligence gathering spy operations, and the extreme secrecy of these
operations, how can we know whether the Bush administration has been spying
domestically, for domestic internal affairs, on US citizens without a
warrant, for any reason whatsoever?  And isn't this the reason there is a
need for the oversight of a court to monitor who the government
domestically is spying on for what reason?  And the reason the Bush
administration's arrogant dismissal of the FISA court's oversight is such a
troubling assertion of power that undermines constitutional protections?

The FISA court offers generous leeway for approval of intelligence gathering
spy operations, even allowing legal wiretapping without a warrant for a
period of time as long as a warrant is sought within 48-72 hours.  I know,
of course, the argument is made that in the modern age of instant e-mail and
Internet communications and disposable cell phones, spying must be conducted
differently to accommodate these new technologies.

But the FISA court should still have access to the information regarding
who, when and where a wiretap was conducted, to act as a shield against
government abuses of the power to conduct surveillance on its own
citizens. The Bush administration's arrogant dismissal of this court cannot
be defended by anyone who seeks to firmly uphold the Fourth Amendment.

Some of the major US corporations involved in data transmission of
communications are complicit with the US government in violating US citizens
Fourth Amendment rights and breaking other laws in the NSA spy program.  So
much for the capitalist so called "free market" protecting our
constitutional rights.  I suppose as long as their corporate lobbyists can
control US federal legislation, they are more than willing to cooperate in
undermining the US Constitution.

Don Coombs, you might want to reevaluate Verizon in a whole new light:  they
seem to think it's OK to break laws to assist our government in spying on
us:

http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/2855

Internationally, Microsoft, Google and Yahoo have also complied with the
Chinese Communist Party in various ways to restrict free speech in China,
even handing over information that has landed Chinese citizens in jail
merely for free political speech that we take for granted.

Read about it:

http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/060216/1/3ypo0.html

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/228344_msftchina14.html

"Those who surrender freedom for security deserve neither."

Benjamin Franklin

Ted Moffett