[Vision2020] Re: Gay marriage...... an oxymoron......

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 2 01:45:37 PST 2006

I have to jump in there.  The figures for dead beat moms are not exactly
rosey either.  Most single sole custody fathers, at a rate of 80% are owed
child support.  Its a systemic problem.  The parent who ends the marriage
and heads for the hills seems most often to figure that the kids and raising
them, paying for their upkeep and providing them with emotional succor is
the job of the custodial parent.  The margins are changing to, more and more
guys are the ones getting their kids and there is darn little support
network out there for new single dads.

You have raised kids in a single parent household, as have I.  Maybe that is
why its easier to see that two parents, hetro or homo, gay, lesbian,
straight or maritan, is one heck of a lot easier for kids than just one
parent.

There are a lot of kids out there with no parents.  Is it better for them to
be raised with no parents or to allow gay couples to adopt?  I think thats a
no brainer, since a kid needs a parent or two if at all possible.  If
raising kids is the reason that marriage is an institution and that people
should have benefits, than the benefit should be granted to all couples with
kids and even to singles with kids.  Thats not about toleration, its about
equal protection under the law.

Phil Nisbet