[Vision2020] Heads up

debismith at moscow.com debismith at moscow.com
Wed Mar 1 10:30:19 PST 2006

Decidedly odd. Mr. Schlect is the Academic Dean of NSA? If I assume his
letter is reprinted here accurately, the Academic Dean has the writing
ability of a backward 12 year-old. Somehow, though, that is not
particularly surprising. If one can wrap his head around some of the
other craziness exhibted and espoused by the Christ Church mind-set, one
can easily believe this man is the personification of "Academic Dean".
>From Doug Wilson on down through the CC ranks, they believe their own BS
enough to keep playing over their collective heads...

Debi Robinson-Smith

> Yesterday I received the following email from Chris Schlect, the
Academic
> [...]
> those associated with us.
>
> Perhaps Nate did behave badly to this man. But Terry, this one man's
> testimony falls well short of the Bible's basis for you to draw your
> conclusion, much less to use your conclusion as a springboard for the
> broadside you launched.
>
> What this man described about Nate was a practice that you taught to
> me to do as a representative of Printer Pro. When I worked for you,
> you made a point to list for me who your customers were, and you
> explicitly instructed me to me identify nearby customers as a way to
> influence prospective customers. Naturally, there's a way to do this
> that is obnoxious, and another way that's appropriate. You certainly
> would have disapproved if I presented myself obnoxiously. (When
> selling for Printer Pro I was quite self-conscious about coming off
> as obnoxious. My temptation ran the opposite direction: to not be as
> confident or assertive as I should have been.)
>
> My concern is this: you publicly chastised one of our students for
> this incident--and through him, our whole student body, faculty, and
> administration--on the basis of one report. You did not seek out
> another perspective. What's more, what Mr. Williams described in our
> student's behavior (in a charitable reading of it) is consistent with
> how you wanted me to act when I represented your business to your
> perspective customers.
>
> I wish you would meet the young man who went to the area businesses
> and obtained those signatures. His name is Nate Halverson. I have
> known Nate for a few years now. To be sure, Nate possesses some of
> the marks immaturity common to a fellow his age, though far less so
> than I did at his age, and many of my peers who know Nate would say
> the same thing. I know Nate well enough to have a sense of the
> impression he leaves on others.
>
> Not only this, I know the impression that Nate left on numerous
> business people with whom he spoke in regard to the petition. Nate
> left a positive impression on them.
>
> I am grateful that Nate Halverson is an NSA student, and happily own
> up to my own association with him. He is a blessing to this
> community. I would happily introduce Nate to you, and I can also show
> you a delightful body of students that, by their character and
> conduct, rebukes the way you hastily represented them.
>
> For what it's worth, for years I have regarded Mr. Williams as my
> favorite downtown merchant, and I send people to him. Though it's
> been awhile now since I've been in his shop, I have on several
> occasions taken the time to speak to him, especially about how
> destructive to his business it is when young people pirate mp3 files.
> But that's beside the point.
>
> Is this something you would be willing to correct, or at least address
> Nate?
>
> Best to you,
>
> Chris Schlect
>
> P.S. How are Linda and the kids? I am genuinely interested to know

Pastor