[Vision2020] Pooh performs another valuable public service

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Fri Jun 30 09:24:18 PDT 2006

Dear Michael:

This is AKA the Straw Man Argument.  This is a deliberate rhetorical
strategy.  If you can create your own opponent, name him and define
him, then you know for a certainty that you can knock him down.  It
doesn't matter what we actually write; the Kirk has a script written
for us.  If we deviate from that script -- and we do -- they ignore
what we've actually said and return like a boomerang to the official
and sanctioned text.  We are not individuals, Michael; we are infidels.
  We should not have the gifts of the spirit: art, beauty, knowledge and
the ability to write and speak clearly and cogently.  That we clearly
do have these gifts and more puts the lie to the entire Wilson Reformed
enterprise.

Do you remember all of those newspaper advertisements in response to
the 2003/2004 controversy over Southern Slavery: As It Was?  They had
nothing whatsoever to do with the issue at hand; instead, they were all
about the infidels' inability to appreciate fine wine, fine food, or
good humor.  Doug Jones, official Princess of the Kirk, wrote that ad
copy.  It made no sense to me at the time: Michelangelo was gay,
therefore he couldn't appreciate fine art?  Lily Tomlin isn't funny?
There's no such thing as a Buddhist chef?  Christians and
non-Christians alike are clearly blessed with the gifts of the spirit.
The evidence is all around you.  But if you're a member of Wilson's
circle, you cannot accept that.  It does not compute, and so you must
ignore it.  You must create the intolerista infidel straw man and knock
him down with your clever pre-conceived, pre-composed ripostes.  What
passes for witty banter in the Church is nothing more than reading from
the index cards.

I believe I'd like to read the rest of Alasdair MacIntyre's book.  It
sounds most interesting.  Thanks for posting this.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com