[Vision2020] Parking Downtown Moscow

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Tue Jun 27 13:44:01 PDT 2006

Jeff,

I have to disagree with you strongly here.

Mr. Beebe's development was NOT targeted for special circumstances; Beebe
was SEEKING special circumstances.  Beebe's proposed development is another
example of a developer expecting concessions from the community to lessen
the costs for a developer and increase his private profit at public expense.
Beebe's land is not part of the downtown block in the City zoning map.  It
is industrially zoned land adjacent to the downtown core.  He bought it as
industrial land.  His justified expectations for the use of this land are as
industrial land.  Seeking to change it to Central Business district
designation in an effort to foist the parking needs of the project on the
nearby landowners is yet another example of a private individual seeking to
impose the costs of their private development upon others.

Micro-planning is a nicely turned phrase, but it is not what is going on
here.  We have a plan.  It is the zoning code, adopted by the citizenry and
the basis for the community's investment decisions.  Changing the zoning
code to allow another category has an effect upon the private property
rights of the neighbors of the landowner who seeks the change.  Mr. Beebe is
seeking special treatment by trying to annex himself into the one category
in town that does not require parking, and he is also seeking to impose
those parking costs on his neighbors and the community at large.

More Motor Business land exists near the Palouse Mall along A Street, where
motor business developments are best suited, given the need to place them as
close to Pullman as possible if we are to continue to draw Pullmanites to
Moscow for shopping. The highway ought to go on the west side of town along
the University of Idaho, if we are to have a bypass, so the residents of
Genessee and Potlatch who are commuting to the universities may take the
most direct route, rather than funneling them all east of Moscow, even
though many are going to Pullman.  Lowe's ought to seek land in the City of
Moscow along the A Street corridor, where such zoning exists and the water
right is clear, rather than locating in Whitman County, foisting the rescue
and fire costs on Moscow, and attempting to craft a water right that is
probably not obtainable.

Who is suggesting that we not create any more industrial land?  I haven't
seen that.  What you are suggesting in your seeming support of Beebe's
re-zone request is the DECREASE in industrial land.  This re-designation of
land to other uses from its zoned or planned designation as industrial and
motor business land is a typical, short-sighted, developer-pushed project to
maximize short-term profits notwithstanding the existing plan.  The foolish
development of A street as apartments under the prior councils, contrary to
the Comprehensive Plan's designation of that land as motor business is
another example. We need light manufacturing and the jobs that come with it,
and industrially zoned land is the place for it.  Redevelopment of the
current industrial land is a good thing, but if we are to consider taking
valuable and scarce industrial land off the City's rolls at Beebe's request,
we ought to consider increasing the industrial land elsewhere, while not
giving Mr. Beebe a pass on the parking demands of his proposal.

All of these things require macro planning, not micro-planning, something
the City has foregone for years by engaging in spot zoning at any
developer's request for many years.  It is time to get ahead of the curve.
Engage the community in the process and get support for a proposal before
seeking special treatment at the expense of the citizenry.

Bruce Livingston