[Vision2020] Parking Downtown Moscow

mark seman fcs at moscow.com
Tue Jun 27 10:48:37 PDT 2006

I know nothing of Bebe's project, but ... parking is a huge consumer of
land.  The requirements for single-level parking & its associated access
(emergency vehicles & patrons) can easily use 50% of a site.  The balance
between developing habitable space and required parking is (most) always
driven by parking.  Every development has either paving or building; the
remaining strips of bare land is the "landscaping."  We won't have better
development until a more holistic approach is used that doesn't just
quantify requirements, but is open to the qualification of a development.
Why couldn't a project have 50% less parking space if alternatives are
available and that space could be devoted to landscaping or a better
building?  Most developing and zoning are so old-school it's pitiful.  The
future is where we are heading, but process is working out of the past.
Developing for the future comes from visioning what we want, implementing
what we do need, and not continuing to utilize poor strategies that give us
the same crap.