[Vision2020] Parking Downtown Moscow

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Jun 27 10:31:08 PDT 2006

BL

It appears that Beebe's development was targeted for special
circumstances - he was asked to resolve an issue that was not being
imposed on others in the downtown block.  That is the thing about
entrepreneurs - they get to make a decision about whether the rewards
are worth the risks.  Beebe would be advised to place his investment
dollars where the rewards compensate him for the risks he would be
encountering.

These "micro-planned agendas" (no WalMart, no Lowe's, no corridor
development, no highway reroute, no subdivisions, no additional motor
business, no additional industrial zones, living wages ...) destroy
the "investment climate".  Micro planned economies don't work -
growth and development can't be regulated at the micro
level.  Planning initiatives can be used to create a tapestry of
desires about where folks will work, will shop, will live.  When
those initiatives get strapped with regulation to force those
initiatives, the freedom of choice becomes fettered - and the
free-enterprise, entrepreneurial spark is extinquished.  It really is
that simple Bill.