[Vision2020] answering g. crabtree

Deacon James deaconjames at verizon.net
Tue Jun 27 09:07:26 PDT 2006

Tom Hansen,

I don't think I made myself very clear. By saying that we will never really know how well they would have compared, I meant it the opposite of how you took it.

Take Satchel Paige, for example. Over 6 years, he pitched 476 innings. He struck out 288 and had a 3.29 ERA. However, he began pitching in the newly integrated majors at about 41 years old. We have no idea just how good he was (relative to Bob Feller, Warren Spahn, Early Wynn, et al.) in his prime, but we do know that he pitched 3 scoreless innings -- allowing only one hit -- at the age of 58. 58! I would love to know what he could have done at 27.

I don't know about you, Tom Hansen, but I feel cheated, all because of the stupid and dispicable idea of racism.

Take care,