[Vision2020] Cult Fantasy News Flash: Roles & Submission

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Fri Jun 16 15:30:10 PDT 2006

Keely Writes:

I appreciate Michael's comments, although I find myself more in agreement
with J Ford.  Fidelity to Christ and Scripture requires submission, all of
us to one another -- regardless of gender, race, or any other construct that
a fallen world uses to divide us.  Submission based on patriarchy is
non-Biblical and is not the submission of two Spirit-led individuals to one
another, but an exercise in oppression.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Me:

I agree with this. I'm not sure what I said that you are taking issue with.
But if I were to put forth a view on "submission," I would just say that
those many New Testament passages that talk about this are speaking to the
relationship between a particular wife and a particular husband; the New
Testament says nothing about submission of women to men, which would be
sexist.  Paul did not think a wife should submit to her husband because of
patriarchical norms, but because this relationship mirrored the relationship
between Jesus and the church.  "Submission" is just a word, and we should be
careful to define it according to the content of the New Testament and not
contemporary political talk.  But in doing this, we still find the English
word a fine translation of the greek (as far as I know).  I've personally
never heard a conservative exegete argue that wives don't have a more unique
role of submission to their husbands; I've always seen the debate focused on
just what it means for wives to uniquely submit to husbands, a way that
demarcates itself functionally, in some way, from how all are to submit to
one another equally.  Also consider Paul's assertion that the man is the
head of the woman the way the Father is head of Christ. In one sense the Son
submits to the Father in a way that the Father does not submit to the Son.
The foundations of Orthodoxy require that we do not believe that all kinds
of "submission"  entail oppression.  The opposite is the case: ultimate
reality, the ultimate good, eternally involves submission.

Michael