[Vision2020] Cult Fantasy News Flash: Roles & Submission

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Fri Jun 16 08:50:15 PDT 2006

I'd prefer Heather to come back and continue this on her own, and I'm
nervous saying anything about this topic now since I don't have the time to
ride a long discussion about it; but I would agree with Heather here.
However, there was something profound that happened to the legitimacy of
"roles" 2000 years ago when a wild Jew started traveling the Roman Empire
saying that there is no longer a distinction between slave/free,
greek/barbarian, woman/man.  In defense of traditional values, Christians
often loose sight of the bigger picture and how unique the origination of
their 'religion' really was. And appeal to the ontological status of the
nature of man and woman is limited for the conservative since a Pauline
world is a new world and one in constant change and recreation.  But I do
think that in some respects, Doug Wilson can be seen as a friend to the
social liberal given what tradition and larger community he is speaking
from. Wilson has fought for a rediscovery of that strong and educated
American woman of the 1800s, and he has done this in the midst of a reaction
to extreme feminism in Christian circles (what we might call the prairie
muffin problem).

"Roles" between men and women cannot be considered independently of other
social "roles" however, and we were free to abandon these other roles:
royalty/peasant, caste placement, racism/slavery etc. So I think this is a
tricky topic.  This also doesn't get us very far in talking about
"submission."  Having different roles does not logically require submission.

Michael

Mr. London,

I think our disagreement is about the fundamental nature of reality which
would make any post from me hopelessly inadequate. Personally, because I
embrace the world the Apostle Paul describes, I think my husband and I
relate to each other in such a way that maximizes our potential. G.K.

Chesterton sums up my thoughts better than I can in his poem "Comparisons"

If I set the sun beside the moon,

And if I set the land beside the sea,

And if I set the town beside the country, And if I set the man beside the
woman, I suppose some fool would talk about one being better

Different roles, different strengths, does not mean different values. While
I can't make any promises, if any one feels so inclined I'd be happy to try
and answer questions off list.

Cheers, hasta la pasta, peace out, etc.

Heather (now unsubscribing) Wilson