[Vision2020] RE: TYPO CORRECTION Re: The age of consent

Taro Tanaka taro_tanaka at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 15 16:28:38 PDT 2006

Chasuk,

I specifically prefaced my statement with "if we lived in a Christian
society with laws that are in harmony with the Bible" (or words to that
effect). I was talking about what consistent, Bible-believing Christians
would do in their dealings with other consistent, Bible-believing
Christians. I was NOT suggesting that we should immediately write to our
legislators to get the current "age of consent" laws repealed.

As a matter of fact, the current "age of consent" laws, since they represent
the codificaton of traditional norms, are in line with Christian practice.
In other words, the norms are Christian norms. So if we eliminated the age
of consent laws, things would not change appreciably for Bible-believing
Christians. (I can't speak for all the other faith perspectives out there.)

Most Christian denominations would balk at ordaining as a Christian minister
an unmarried youth of just 18 years of age. As a general principal, a person
should be much older, be married, and have proven himself as a good pastor
of his own family first. But in the 19th century just such an exception was
made in the case of Charles Haddon Spurgeon, one of the greatest preachers
and one of the most active and capable men ever in the realm of charity
work. (Many of the charities that he established still thrive today.)
Spurgeon was a truly rare exception, but it was good that an exception could
be made for him.

With regard to the age at which we allow two people to marry as well -- and
note I said marry, not jump in bed together outside of marriage -- I think
we need to be able to accommodate rare exceptions. Most people who object to
this will want cite the example of an older man marrying a pre-pubescent
girl. First let me say I think the majority of the exceptions would be the
other way around -- young males marrying older women. Second, marriages
involving pre-pubescent males or females are out of the question. Sexual
intercourse with an eye toward procreation is part and parcel of marriage,
and pre-pubescent boys and girls cannot enter into the equation. Which is
not to say that older people who are incapable of bearing children (due to
infertility) can't get married, but the point should be clear. I want to
see, in a Christian society, a system which respects the rights of all the
parties -- especially the rights of women -- and God's rights, as He is
party to every marriage -- and also has enough flexibility to accommodate
the rare genuine exception. You don't have to agree with that, but it is the
consistent biblical position.

-- Princess Sushitushi