[Vision2020] RE: TYPO CORRECTION Re: The age of consent

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 15:07:41 PDT 2006

On 6/15/06, Taro Tanaka <taro_tanaka at hotmail.com> wrote:

> To repeat myself, I'm assuming that all the people connected to a
> prospective marriage are not insane. Instead of making up the most
> ridiculous examples from the planet Physhtar, which has an atmosphere of
> pure ammonia and life forms correspondingly adapted to such a world, you
> bring me an actual example of a 7-year-old Christian girl who wants to marry
> a 32-year-old man, a 32-year-old Christian man who wants to marry a
> 7-year-old girl, the girl's Christian parents who think this is a great
> idea, and the Christian pastor who would be happy to marry them, and then
> let's talk. Otherwise take your ridiculous examples back to Physhtar and get
> your answers there.

The theoretical example I provided was extreme, but we live in an
occasionally extreme world.  We don't have specific laws against
things that have virtually no likelihood of happening, but against
those things which do happen, even in if only in a minority of
circumstances.  The majority of people aren't thieves and yet we have
laws against thievery.  The majority of people aren't murderers but we
still have laws against murder.  Note that we don't have specific laws
against plunging one's hands into a fire.  We do have laws against
causing injury to children, which is what age of consent laws are,
when you examine them closely.