[Vision2020] My Summer Reading Suggestions

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 15:20:26 PDT 2006

 I have never enjoyed novels. They bore me, and I cannot see the  point in spending anymore than two hours reading about the happenings  of people that don't exist. My reading skills fell behind as a kid  because they wanted me to read Wren instead of the Encyclopedia  Britannica. However, I have many books in my second bedroom, in fact,  that is why I have a second bedroom in my apartment, that and to store  exercise equipment that is still in mint condition :).

  For those you that hate novels but love reading like me and most Aspies, I suggest:

  The World Almanac 2006

  and

  The Complete Family Medical Guide by Dr. Warwick Carter

  Lots of facts, graphs, and information, some of which is much more useful then you find in a romance novel.

  Best,

  _DJA

Austin Storm <austinstorm at gmail.com> wrote:Just  received a memo from head office. Apparently I'm supposed to talk about  books now, not sports. It's only a coincidence that I like books more  than sports. Don't let that distract you. I am incapable of independent  action or thought. They told me to say that, too. It's like that bit in  Pirates of the Caribbean:

                    MULLR0Y
          What's your business in Port Royal, 'Mr. Smith' ?

                    MURTOGG
          And no lies!

                    JACK SPARROW

          None? Very well. You've rumbled
          me. I confess: I intend to
          commandeer one of these ships,
          pick up a crew in Tortuga, and go
          out on the account, do a little

          honest pirating.

                    MURTOGG
          I said, no lies.

                    MULLR0Y
          I think he's telling the truth.

                    MURTOGG

          He's not telling the truth.

                       MULLROY
          He may be.

                    MURTOGG
          If he were telling the truth he
          wouldn't have told us.

                    JACK
          Unless, of course, he knew you wouldn't
          believe the truth if he told it to you.

We  all need a little more good, honest fiction in our lives. In that  spirit I have some book suggestions for this summer. Yes, I own a  bookstore so this is sortof self-promotiony. I hope you'll forgive... I  carry the books because I really like them.

Peace Like a River
This  is terrific fiction. There were several times while I was reading that  I 'jumped back' a paragraph or even a chapter so I could prolong the  experience of reading this book.
http://www.skycowbooks.com/p-187-.aspx

The Complete Works of Flannery O'Connor
Flannery  O'Connor is scary and wonderful. Not easy, but once you acclimate  yourself to her world you will not look at things the same way.
http://www.skycowbooks.com/p-203-.aspx

-Austin

--
Austin Storm