[Vision2020] My Summer Reading Suggestions

Austin Storm austinstorm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 14:26:35 PDT 2006

Just received a memo from head office. Apparently I'm supposed to talk about
books now, not sports. It's only a coincidence that I like books more than
sports. Don't let that distract you. I am incapable of independent action or
thought. They told me to say that, too. It's like that bit in Pirates of the
Caribbean:

*                    MULLR0Y
*          What's your business in Port Royal, 'Mr. Smith' ?

*                    MURTOGG
*          And no lies!

*                    JACK SPARROW
*          None? Very well. You've rumbled
          me. I confess: I intend to
          commandeer one of these ships,
          pick up a crew in Tortuga, and go
          out on the account, do a little
          honest pirating.

*                    MURTOGG
*          I said, no lies.

*                    MULLR0Y
*          I think he's telling the truth.

*                    MURTOGG
*          He's not telling the truth.

*                       MULLROY
*          He may be.

*                    MURTOGG
*          If he were telling the truth he
          wouldn't have told us.
*
**                    JACK
*          Unless, of course, he knew you wouldn't
          believe the truth if he told it to you.

We all need a little more good, honest fiction in our lives. In that spirit
I have some book suggestions for this summer. Yes, I own a bookstore so this
is sortof self-promotiony. I hope you'll forgive... I carry the books
because I really like them.

Peace Like a River
This is terrific fiction. There were several times while I was reading that
I 'jumped back' a paragraph or even a chapter so I could prolong the
experience of reading this book.
http://www.skycowbooks.com/p-187-.aspx

The Complete Works of Flannery O'Connor
Flannery O'Connor is scary and wonderful. Not easy, but once you acclimate
yourself to her world you will not look at things the same way.
http://www.skycowbooks.com/p-203-.aspx

-Austin

--
Austin Storm