[Vision2020] Ann Coulter Banned: False

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 22:00:43 PDT 2006

All:

Tony's hyperbole on this issue just reveals his political hysteria.  And his
lack of research into the facts and absence of critical thinking before
posting his button pushing nonsense also reveals that his post is not worth
a response.  However, in the hope Tony can become enlightened, I'll attempt
exactly that.

Politicians, or anyone for that matter, can suggest that retailers not carry
a title they or the community they represent find offensive, which has
happened often with books with sexual content.  This is not a "ban" in the
legal sense, though many books with sexual content have been legally banned
in a given community, or in certain areas of certain communities, even at
this time in history.

If the New Jersey legislature tried to legally ban Coulter's book in New
Jersey, this would be challenged no doubt as unconstitutional, and I doubt
they would even attempt this sort of censorship, even if they wanted to.
Read the actual statement of the New Jersey politicians in question at the
bottom of this post.  As far as I can gather, they are only offering a
suggestion to New Jersey book retailers, which the retailers can follow or
not, as they choose.

Retailers are free to sell whatever books they choose, though sometimes
within certain legal bounds as defined by "prevailing community standards,"
a phrase used in legal decisions applied mainly to what some consider
"pornography," a favorite target for censorship by those of Tony's world
view.  If they don't sell books people want, of course, they may go out of
business.

Would the Christian bookstore in the Palouse Mall be charged with "book
banning" for not carrying Bertrand Russell's "Why I Am Not A Christian?"  No
one would demand that they carry such a title, at least no one I know of,
and they are within their rights not to carry the title.  However, if the
Idaho State Legislature tried to legally ban this Bertrand Russell book in
Idaho, this would be unconstitutional.

Here is the statement by the New Jersey politicians in question regarding
this issue:

http://politics.nexcess.net/pressrelease/2006/06/assemblywomen_joan_m_quigley_l.html#more

terrible personal tragedy four-and-a-half years ago and have selflessly
advocated to improve national security in the intervening years, the
assemblywomen issued the following statement, denouncing Coulter's attacks
and asking New Jersey retailers to ban the sale of her book throughout the
state:

*"Ann Coulter's criticism of 9-11 widows, whose only desire since the
attacks have been to repair their shattered lives and protect other families
from the horrors they have experienced, is motivated purely by petty greed
and hate.

"Her assertion that these women enjoyed watching their husbands die on
national television is hateful, hurtful, and runs counter to every sentiment
expressed since the September 11th tragedy.

"Coulter's vicious characterizations and remarks are motivated by greed and
her desire to sell books. By making these claims, she proves herself worse
than those she is attempting to vilify - she is a leech trying to turn a
profit off perverting the suffering of others.

"No one in New Jersey should buy this book and allow Ann Coulter to profit
from her hate-mongering. We are asking New Jersey retailers statewide to
stand with us and express their outrage by refusing to carry or sell copies
of Coulter's book. Her hate-filled attacks on our 9-11 widows has no place
on New Jersey bookshelves."*

Vision2020 Post by Ted Moffett