[Vision2020] Please Stop

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 11 16:07:12 PDT 2006

I understand your point, Mr. Rogers, but for clarification, are you speaking
for all the survivors of Sitler's abuse?  If not, then I feel it's important
to make a few comments.  I'll try to keep this relatively short.

For the discussion, I have to say that I'm not aware of a single community
member who has any interest at all in knowing any personal details of who
the survivors are.  People *care* that children have been harmed, and I
think it's natural to discuss the heinous crime and aftermath that has
affected our community.

Personally, I have a heartbreaking wealth of experience with survivors of
sexual abuse, both children and adults.

While the reaction Mr. Rogers related is one possible scenario, it certainly
isn't the only one.  Survivors -- and their families -- have a wide range of
reactions throughout the entire experience and process depending on too many
variables to list.

There *is* no universal response to the situation for survivors or their
loved ones as Mr. Rogers' post implied.  Indeed, experts understand that any
individual survivor may have one reaction and the loved ones may have
completely different responses.  And, the reactions of each survivor and
each loved one can change and change and change again throughout the process
. . . and throughout the rest of their lives.

Is the scenario you sketch possible?  Absolutely, and for the survivors and
their loved ones who respond in the way you relate, it's an absolutely valid
response.

However, there are a multitude of other -- and equally valid -- responses
and reactions.

Secrecy, guilt, shame, and blame are among the tactics some pedophiles
successfully use.

It is no wonder, then, when some child survivors are consumed with feeling
ashamed, an emotion experience shows that for some survivors may be
compounded when the child gets the unintended message that what happened was
so terrible it has be kept secret.

Some child survivors find it empowering and healing to speak out at some
point even if they continue to have their personal identity shielded.  OTOH,
some survivors never feel the need to shield their identities.  I just read
a news story about survivor Estera Tamas who was sexually abused while a
foster child in WA and who "asked that her name be published to encourage
other victims to come forward."

I have spoken with young -- and terrified -- child survivors who in spite of
their absolute terror felt compelled to report and/or testify to protect
other children from the abuser.  I know one child survivor who felt *very*
strongly about reporting the sexual abuse due to a strong sense that the
abuser -- who had been a "friend" -- needed help to "get better."

And, some child survivors find validation and healing in knowing that their
"world" *cares* about what happened to them and/or to other children who
have survived sexual abuse.  It's one thing -- and a very important thing --
to know that those who are *supposed* to care about you do, but it's a very
different and positive experience to know that a whole community or state or
nation of strangers cares, too, even when they don't know *who* you are.

Sometimes, seeing a community's support for survivors can help other child
victims who weren't able to tell to begin healing.

I could go on and on and on, but I hope this is enough to help broaden the
perspective.  Mr. Rogers' scenario is certainly one possible and valid
scenario, but there are many other scenarios and experiences that are just
as real and valid.

It is my fervent hope and prayer that each and every survivor of childhood
sexual abuse will feel support and compassion and valued from every corner
of their "world."

And, should any of Sitler's survivors be aware that his crimes are being
discussed, I hope that their support systems can help them to understand
that discussions are happening because people *care* -- and care deeply --
for and about those he abused.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****