[Vision2020] one final thing

Douglas dougwils at christkirk.com
Fri Jun 9 09:18:20 PDT 2006

Visionaries,

Well, that fax to First Step was something new. I want to make one last
observation about what has transpired here, comment on the fax, and then
be gone.

My interest in resubscribing to this list, first to last, was to protect
the victims and their families, and to get this group to admit that
their right to privacy outranked this listserve's right to chatter about
it indignantly. The family had no interest in becoming a political
football. They had no interest in having court records from their tragic
case made public. They had no interest in having you do to them what you
have now done to them.

One of your number, one of the sane ones, wrote me privately to offer
help on working with families in our church because he works in this
very sad area. His offer was well meant, and kindly received. He said
that it is well-known in his circles that reporting this kind of thing
happens at a much lower rate among religious conservatives. After this
reaction from the usual vitriolic ones here, is it hard to imagine why?

Between the two of us, Peter Leithart and I pastor a community that is
the size of a small town. Do you think that this kind of thing could
ever possibly happen again? And if it did, I would seek to do the same
thing again -- get the crime reported immediately, provide help, counsel
and protection for the victim and families, and restore a climate of
calm in which forgiveness and healing could begin to occur. But if the
family involved in this new hypothetical case knew (and how could they
not know?) what had happened to the /last /family who did what their
pastor had asked, what do you think my chances are going to be?

You should encourage those who seek to do the right thing. You should
not punish those who do the right thing. As a criminal, someone like
Steven is being punished, as he ought to be. But you people (or rather,
the small, malicious, and very vocal pack among you) have arranged to
punish the victims, all while loudly proclaiming how interested you are
in "protecting families." But if you really had their interests in mind,
then why do you not do what they so reasonably asked, and shut up? When
a family is thinking about reporting something like this, what might
make them hesitate? Those who have experience with this (as I do) know
that one of the big questions always concerns whether or not the process
involved in reporting it could become as bad as the abusive experience
itself. In this case, it has, thanks to Michael Metzler, and his
apologists and enablers.

If I am counseling these hypothetical parents a year from now, should I
print out all your posts, put them in a notebook, and ask the family to
read through them? Full disclosure? If I say that I want you to report
this, but "this will probably happen to you too, if you do," what effect
do you think this would have on them? Take all the posts from Michael,
Joan, Keely, Jackie, et al. and ask yourself -- could this kind of
discussion occur about you? Yes, it probably would. If you asked them to
stop it, please, would they? No, not a chance. Not if the situation
provided them with a clear shot at Christ Church.

We are dealing with an out-of-control pack of ghouls. They are ghouls
for different reasons. Michael's reasons are emotional, Bill London's
are political, Keely's are theological, and Joan's are literary. But
after the first twenty-four hours, when it initially looked as though
the general pattern of posting was going to follow my pleading and drop
the subject, all the old habits and antipathies then kicked in. The
central subject and central concern was overlooked (the victims and
their families), and your emotional renegades began bellowing about this
and that, and demanding timelines and details. As Don Henley put it,
"Kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down." If any of you
think that I am /incapable /of defending in detail what we did at every
step of this story, you are mistaken. But I will not do that because of
what it would do to the families. I have already been forced to talk
about it to an extent that (in a decent community, one with an operating
sense of shame) would have been unnecessary. I am convinced that since
you clearly will not honor so basic a request as this, for me to stick
around and upbraid you for it will simply inspire you to continue in
your sadistic pattern.

And so this leads to the fax. If you think that this outrageous behavior
has not made a lot of people angry, then you have really misjudged this
thing. It is one thing to demand a "free speech" zone so that people can
bash Bush, and liberals can pretend they are speaking truth to power. It
is quite another to have an "accountability-free" zone that reserves the
right to do to the victims of child abuse what a handful of you have
done in this reprehensible display, and all on First Step's dime.

I know there are many of you who are not sympathetic with what is being
done with the unmoderated space provided by First Step. Looking at the
fax, that would appear to be an understatement. We keep thinking, surely
they would draw the line at /this/. But then nothing happens, and the
victims of child abuse are run through the
FirstStepFreeSpeechGrinder.com. But one of the things that the broadband
revolution is giving us (in increasing measure every year) is choices
and options.

Douglas Wilson